Differences: Before & After
Here are some thoughts you might have about what it was like before the injury and how it is now:
- My dad can't do all the same activities with me like he did before.
- People stare at us when we're out in public.
- I don't remember my mom sleeping as much as she does now.
- My parents seem very tense all the time.
- I don't understand why my dad is more emotional than before.
- I don't know what to tell my friends why my mom is like this.
Acknowledging that there are differences is more helpful than just ignoring them. You might have expected that your parent would be different but it might have not been clear how that would affect you. Since life at home and with your parent is not the same, you may not be sure how to handle it. Don't be surprised if you just don't want to deal with it. If you find yourself seeking isolation, thinking of harming yourself, drinking alcohol, or other risky behaviors, get help immediately. It's important to keep yourself safe and get the support you need. Talk to someone to figure out some useful and safe ways to adjust to the changes.